In early discussions with prospective self & custom builders we are told they wish to build their family home in a sustainable, supportive & welcoming community.
The following procedures help to achieve these wishes and we expect all purchasers to agree to them not only at the time of purchase but also in the future.
- Plot owners and their contractors should not carry out work or activities that would hurt, harm or disturb other persons or property
- Noisy work should end no later than 9.00 pm
- Plot owners, especially in Top Meadow, should reduce all noise when aware or have been notified by the church that the Grotto is in use for a special occasion
- All machinery and material/s must be kept within their plot area and all surplus material/s should be frequently removed
- Plot owners are responsible for the security, safety and actions of all person’s official or otherwise attending or working on their property
Build time: the following timing/s, hopefully; can always be achieved
- Within 3 months of plot purchase, owners will agree in writing their building/s externally visual design and plot layout with Flosh Meadows management
- Within 6 months of plot purchase, owners will submit Full Planning application of agreed with Flosh Meadows design to the Local Authority
- All changes to design must be agreed in writing with Flosh Meadows management
- Within 12 months of plot purchase, construction works are to be started
- Within 24 months of plot purchase, all external building and front garden including driveway construction must be completed
To assist plot purchasers, we have produced this Design & Procedure code in agreement with Copeland Borough Council.
Our code is designed to allow the flexibility of design with supportive requirements for an attractive community. It is based upon the National Planning Policy Framework (NPPF) Custom & Self Build Toolkit being the “best practice” advice to Council Planning Authorities with its requirements, not to micro-manage Self & Custom build developments.
It is accepted that self builders wish to make the major decisions in the design of their new home.
We encourage attractive properties giving high efficiency, super insulated built fabric; achieving excellent air tightness; high performance doors and windows; good ventilation and heat recovery with water harvesting & solar gain engineering.
Road/s will be built by developer to adoptable standard with all services & utilities available to each plot; connections to all services is the responsibility of the plot owner.
- All dwellings should comply with Lifetime Homes Standards
- Primary entrance & front elevation are to face the street
- Buildings should be generally two storeys in height
- two and a half storey with one and a half storey & bungalows can be considered
- All roofs to dwellings & garages are to be pitched between 25 & 40 degrees
- Permanent structures not to exceed 45% of the plot area
- Front garden not to have such as caravans, campers, huts or clothes lines
- Open plan front layout with shrubs & small trees required
- Front garden can have 0.8m max height side boundary/s
- Rear Garden to be enclosed with fencing or hedge at 1.8m maximum height
- Balcony only allowed at the first floor rear, with max’ area 1.5m x 3m
- Aerials and satellite dishes only to the rear of the property centre line
- Refuse bins or bags storage area only to the rear of the property centre line
- A detached garage should not normally be forward of the main building front line
- Minimum three car parking spaces to be provided within the plot area
- No subdivision or amalgamation of plots at purchase or in the future allowed without Flosh Meadows management agreement
- At future disposal of land or property, the new owner must agree to the same terms of this Design & Procedure code
- Flosh Meadows management reserve the right to recover their costs and apply market value figures to all matters following initial design discussions
Any change from the Design Code at purchase or in the future must be agreed in writing with Flosh Meadows management and Copeland Planners.
- Exterior walls normally to be finished in Stone, brick or rendered; alternatives can be considered
- Natural Stone: sandstone preferred, with dressed stone for details such as window/door reveals etc
- Render should be a through-colour product with a light textured finish
- Drives, paths & parking areas to be of permeable construction
- Roof tiles should be traditional slate or composite low profile
- Alternative materials for all uses are acceptable, especially those with an increased energy conservation
- All materials must be agreed with Flosh Meadows management and Copeland Borough Council
Affordable Homes Plots
- Plots 18-21 to be sold at 80% market value
- Future sales of properties at plot 18-21 to be at 80% market value in perpetuity
- Only qualifying persons as determined by Copeland Borough Council can purchase plots or properties at 18-21